Monday 16 January 2012

Windows

Cleaning My Windows:


So, if you're like me, you will wonder why windows need to be cleaned?? The first time I ever cleaned my windows was a couple of months ago. And this is why.

My youngest was always coughing and/or congested. Her cough was so deep, but every time I took her in, her chest was clear. This was good news of course, but it was frustrating that it would never end, and we couldn't locate a reason. It was like she had a horrible cold for months (yes, literally, about three months by the time she turned five or six months!) By horrible I mean, she would cough and gag in her sleep, always had thick mucus which she would vomit out every few days. The older two also coughed at night, so I figured it really was a constant cold.

Until finally I made an appointment with a visiting doctor who we had for our first. We knew this doctor was amazing with his diagnosis, we had seen it ourselves with our first two. Even through email his diagnosis was spot on. So, we took her in. When he told us the possibilities of what it could be thats keeping her always congested, (one being the possibility that she kept getting a virus soon after one cleared), he mentioned environmental factors.

He told us that once a week I should vacuum her room, clean the window and place a protector between mattress and sheet. Even if I can't see any mould, he explained, I should continue to clean the window with a wipe all around the sides every week.

I wasn't sure that this would make a difference, but since there was nothing to lose, I decided to try it. And I couldn't believe the results! Since then, she rarely coughs at all, rarely is congested or has a runny nose! (by rarely I mean maybe once every week or two, and that usually signals to me that I haven't cleaned the windows recently.)

My older two also stopped coughing at night! It's amazing what a difference something so little makes.. and that no one knows such a little thing! (I have told many of my friends this since and I feel like it's helped at least the few who have done it.)

*IMPORTANT: So I tried to get efficient and clean even better, so I pulled out the handheld part of my steam mop and used it all around the windows today. Yes, I saw dirt and probably mould falling off, and I cleaned it up with a towel. The window looks cleaner than ever. But after doing two windows, I can feel it in my chest :( And before writing this post I thought I'd do some quick research. Turns out you have to be careful in cleaning mould because you can make the mould spores airborne and spread it more throughout the house :( So much for that!

Check this out: http://www.healthy-house.co.uk/information-on-mould-and-mould-allergy

If you clean your windows and feel any difference, please do let me know by posting here! (yes, adults are allergic to mould too, of course! and I did feel a difference in myself too, although I don't clean my windows as regularly as I do the kids.)

1 comment:

  1. Just yesterday I cleaned the windows in my daughters room (and all over the house) after not doing them for a couple of weeks. She has been coughing for a couple months now too, not as bad as your daughter, and mostly at night. I'm going to make it a point to see if this made a difference. Thanks for sharing this! It will help keep me motivated to keep doing it!!

    ReplyDelete