Sunday 22 January 2012

Best

"The best of you are the best to your...."

Be honest. What was the first word that came out of your mouth when you read this?

We women so happily flaunt this saying of our prophet Muhammad. The best of you are those who are best to their wives. Did you hear that, dear husband?? Let me say it again, just incase you missed a part..

Recently I've been thinking a lot about my dealings with my children. I read somewhere that a person's true nature comes out when s/he is angered. Although true, I think general anger is easier to control than the daily struggles with children. I decided that our true character comes out when we are with our children, and most specifically, when we are awoken for the third or fourth time in the night (or way to early for the morning)! I'm not even a morning person, and my kids' like to test my character before 6 a.m. I think they should have learned by now that they don't want to see that character. They keep testing it anyway. They must think I will change one of these days. I hope they are right.

As I was remembering the morning struggles, it suddenly dawned on me. Although usually translated as "the best of you are those who are best to their wives (or women,)" it actually has the word "family". The best of you are those who are best to their families.

It makes so much sense. Islam emphasizes the rights and protection of the weaker or more vulnerable of two. Whenever it is likely that people will take advantage of a group, Allah himself raises their status by reminding us of the responsibilities of having this "weaker" one under our care. Slaves. Orphans. Women. Children. Old parents.

I will never hear this saying the same again.

Best to their families.







No comments:

Post a Comment